Monday, April 30, 2012

Just another Monday Begins and ends with My Charlotte

 Gosh, I might just be lovesick.  This is me being woken up by My Vickie.  I had been sleeping on my new bed that was sent to me all the way from Austria from my Beautiful Girl Charlotte.   Ah please My Vickie, let me go back to sleep.   But that is not the way it was going to be.  You see, we have had a tragedy occur in our little community.  A small four year old boy has fallen in the river and he has not yet been found.
 So even though Murphy and I have retired from Search and Rescue work, we decided that we should go out and at least walk the lower river to see if he had been carried down stream.  And of course, we can't take a stroll through the woods without our buddy Goose.

 Goose and I worked the scent pools along the river at a run.  
 Goose, his Mom, Murphy and Paulette lead the way down to the water, I had to keep coming back to see if My Vickie was coming.    Man she is slow.  


UP stream the divers worked in the raging water with undertows and whipping whirl pools.  Above us the helicopter worked its way up and down stream looking for signs.  All this work and still at the end of the day, no one could bring a closure for this family.
 When we left the river to find our way back to the main trail, My Vickie spotted the coolest mushrooms.  She is crazy about taking pictures of mushrooms.  She was so excited cause she had never seen one like this before.
 She found out later, after we got back that this is a rare and specialty mushroom called a Morel. 
Morel, or morchella, is a genus of ascocarp mushrooms. Ascocarps are fungi with a fruiting body, which is generally spongy in texture. Morel mushrooms are hollow on the inside, with one large cavity running the length of the stalk. They have a distinctive cap structure, and are enjoyed by amateur and veteran mushroom enthusiasts.


 Of course I got to do a little underwater diving and Goose, obviously, had to find a stick.
 Not just a stick for Goose, he likes the whole log.....
 I tried to go home in a different truck.  I thought it looked better than last centuries pick up My Vickie drives, but she wouldn't take it.
Now I am back sleeping on my wonderful bed from My Sweet Charlotte.  I am exhausted and sad that we couldn't help end the pain of a small family, but hope that tomorrow brings them some closure.


Just another Monday.

25 comments:

Angel Prancer Pie said...

It must be sweet sleepin on that bed! Our Mommy enjoyed the shroom photo too. We will send purrayers fur the family of the boy. So sad. xoxo

The Daily Pip said...

Oh gosh, how sad. My paws are crossed for a miracle.

Those fancy mushrooms would cost a fortune in a store.

Your pal, Pip

GOOSE said...

Bert I was honored you and Murphy asked me to come along today. I know I am not an official SAR dog, but I know I learned how to do some stuff from you and Murphy. And even though it was sad why we were there, MOM and I love to go through the thick thick stuff, and it was THICK today.
MOM wants to know if you can eat those mushrooms.
Sleep well buddy.
Blessings,
Goose

KSO said...

I can't believe your love sick Bert! That Charlotte sure is lucky.

I'll keep that little boy in my thoughts, hope for the best.

KB said...

Oh my, what a day Bert. I'm so sorry for that family... it was wonderful of you to go and look...

Don't eat the mushrooms, Bert! No matter what my K might tell you, many of them are poisonous. It sounds like the ones that your Vickie found are probably okay... but our K decided to sample all sorts of mushrooms one day when she was about a year old. She almost died from poisoning. So, don't do it, Bert!

Enjoy that sweet bed.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!

Ziggy Stardust said...

Bert, I must tell you again, how proud I am to know you. You are such a caring doggy pal and such a good example for all of us. You give your time to help others. Mommy is praying for the little boy and his family. It is very sad.

Loveys Sasha

p.s. Mommy loves mushrooms and that was a really cool one

The Furries of Whisppy said...

Oh dear. This is so sad. We hope there'll be closure for the family. We'll also pray for a miracle.
Those mushrooms do look very unique.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! LOVE your new bed. That is such a cool mushroom photo. You get to see Goose again. Lots of Golden ALOHA n Woofs, Sugar

Got a ? so we will send you an email.
Golden ALOHA

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

We were so sad to read about the little boy.

Being French, we immediately recognized the Morel ("Morille") mushrooms! They are a great delicacy here! You should have picked them for supper!

What a fabulous bed!

Woofs,
Tommy

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

MORELS..... You found the most wonderful mushrooms EVER.
GO BACK and Pick ALL you can find. Split them with a sharp knife.. from top to bottom. Put them in plenty of water to wash... CAREFULLY.. Drain well. Then Flour and Fry them with 1/2 margarine and 1/2 crisco oil.. until they are lightly crisp.
THEY are SOOOOOOO delicious.
Totally Safe. TRUST ME!!!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

How very sad for that poor family. We will cross our paws for better esults today. Our hearts go out to them for their loss.

Cool-looking mushroom but don't take any chances eating them - you just never know for sure.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Cowspotdog said...

That is sad for the family....the same thing happened here a couple of weeks ago - to a 4 year old as well. Sadly he was found about 5 days later and he had drowned. It was good you joined in the search and hopefully the family will have some news soon.

Murphy said...

I'm glad that you and Murphy and Goose went to see if you could help find the toddler who fell into the water. It is very sad. We all hope that he is found soon. On another note, that sure was a strange mushroom!

Matilda the Boxer said...

You're so good to try to help that poor little boy and his family. I hope something good happens.

Jill said...

Your morels are beautiful!!! Been collecting them for years. If you eat them, make sure that they are cooked thoroughly. Morels are hollow inside and very distinctive. Hard to confuse them with anything else. So sorry about the child that is missing....I can't imagine how difficult that is for his family. Saying a special prayer....

Unknown said...

OH, we saw this on Goose's blog too. It's just so sad. How much it must mean to the families that wonderful people were trying to help. Sending see beautiful thoughts and prayers their way...

NanaNor's said...

Hi Bert, I'm so thankful that you were able to go help in the search. I lifted this little boy and his family up; please keep us posted. Glad you were able to have some fun with your buddies too. Hey we are going to look at a puppy this Friday; I'm praying it all works out for us to bring him home.
Have a great evening.
happy paws, Noreen

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Bert, we have paws crossed here for information about that poor little boy. We think you and your Vickie and all the fellow Searchers do an amazing job. Sweet dreams on your 'Charlotte' bed. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

NCmountainwoman said...

I lost it all when I saw the Morels! Yummy. Your Vicki must go hunting for more. They are delicious!!!

On a serious note, here's hoping the little one can be found.

2browndawgs said...

So sad about the lost child. It was nice of you to try to help out. Prayers for his family.

houndstooth said...

Our thoughts go out to that little guy's family! It was good of you to go out and look. Hopefully they find him soon. What a sad Monday!

Bunny

Ina in Alaska said...

I heard about the little boy over on Goose's post .

So heartbreaking. Hope he is found soon. So sorry for his family to be in such anguish, not knowing.

Sending peace & love.

Molly the Airedale said...

How awful for the family of the little boy. My paws are crossed for him to be found!
My mom is a mushroom nut too. She thinks they are as pretty as any flower is!

Love ya lots,
Mitch

Bassetmomma said...

I'm so sad for the family. How nice of you to go help look for the little boy.